Nobody likes growing old. Especially when it leaves you unfit and when the usual health problems arise. There is a perception in the mind of people across the world that growing old is a curse. However, is it so? Have you ever tried to think it otherwise? Yes, today – we are going to talk about the benefits of growing old. If you look at the other way, there are a lot of perks in growing old too! The governments of many countries recognize their age and offer a lot of senior citizen discounts and benefits on various things. Read on to know more.
What Is The Need To Give Senior Citizens Discounts And Other Benefits?
Now, for the young millennials that might feel insecure that they do not get any discounts, but the senior citizens do – it is time to think differently. Growing old is not an easy thing. The older people have already experienced most of what you are experiencing now. They are the ones who have worked hard for their families and in building their nation. They have worked for decades together and tend to lose strength as they grow old.
At those ages, they would not be in a position to earn for themselves and sometimes even for their families. However, we should realize that old age is when they should get some rest and live life for themselves. In such a case, the government recognizes the efforts of a person and offers them a lot of perks that can make their lives a bit easier. Talking about the eligibility, anyone who has aged over 60 is eligible to claim all the benefits of senior citizenship.
Senior Citizen Discount And Benefits, Explained
Now, let us talk about what are some of the most common benefits and discounts that are given to senior citizens. There are many of them which are not possible to cover in just one article, but let us talk about some of them that hold importance.
- Exemption From Tax: This is one of the most significant advantages wherein they get a discount on taxes that they are liable to pay to the government at places like recognized restaurants, medical supplies, recreational centers, etc.
- Discounted Travel: Now, we all will agree that this is one of the most lucrative things that one cannot just avoid to recognize. Most of the land transportation services operated by the government – including the trains and buses offer a steep discount to the senior citizen travelers.
- Government Assistance: They are eligible for priority services in many government-operated service centers, and also get easy financial assistance if they are trying to set up a business.
- Pension: Now, this is the most popular benefit of becoming a senior citizen and the most attractive too. Every senior citizen is eligible to claim a pension of a particular amount every month that is aimed at making their lives easier.
How Can One Be a Senior Citizen?
If you liked the benefits, here is how to apply for senior citizenship and enroll yourself for all the advantages mentioned above:
- Must be aged over 60 years
- A birth certificate
- A valid identity and address proof.
- A recent colored photograph.
Let me know your thoughts below.